Fluid, Electrolyte and Acid-Base Physiology , 5th Edition
With a strong focus on problem solving and clinical decision making, Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Physiology is your comprehensive, go-to guide on the diagnosis and management of fluid, electrolytes, and acid-base disorders. This in-depth reference moves smoothly from basic physiology to practical clinical guidance, taking into account new discoveries; new understanding of fluid, acid-base, and electrolyte physiology; and new treatment options available to today's patients. An essential resource for nephrologists and emergency practitioners, this extensively revised edition helps you make the best management decisions based on the most current knowledge.
- Presents questions and explanations throughout that let you test your knowledge and hone your skills.
- High-yield margin notes and key point boxes make essential information easy to review.
- Numerous line drawings, diagnostic algorithms, and tables facilitate reference.
- Distinguished authors apply their extensive experience in research, clinical practice, and education to make theoretical and clinical knowledge easy to understand and apply.
New to this Edition
- Expert Consult eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, images, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
- More patient-based problem solving illustrates how key principles of renal physiology, biochemistry, and metabolic regulation are applied in practice, challenging you to test your knowledge and hone your decision-making skills.
- Highlights updated clinical approaches to the diagnosis and management of fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base disorders based on current research and understanding.
- Integrative whole-body physiology provides a more comprehensive grasp of the pathophysiology of fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base disorders.
|Table of Content||
Section One Acid Base
Chapter 1 Principles of Acid-Base Physiology
Chapter 2 Tools to Use to Diagnose Acid-Base Disorders
Chapter 3 Metabolic Acidosis: Clinical Approach
Chapter 4 Metabolic Acidosis caused by a Deficit of NaHCO3
Chapter 5 Ketoacidosis
Chapter 6 Metabolic Acidosis: Acid Gain Types
Chapter 7 Metabolic Alkalosis
Chapter 8 Respiratory Acid-Base Disturbances
Section Two Salt and Water
Chapter 9 Sodium and Water Physiology
Chapter 11 Hypernatremia
Chapter 12 Polyuria
Section Three Potassium
Chapter 13 Potassium Physiology
Chapter 14 Hypokalemia
Chapter 15 Hyperkalemia
Section Four Integrative Physiology
Chapter 16 Hyperglycemia
List of Cases
List of Flow Charts
|Author Informaiton||By Kamel S. Kamel, MD, FRCPC, Professor, Department of Medicine, St Michael's Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada and Mitchell L. Halperin, MD, FRCPC, Renal Division, St. Michael's Hospital; Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Trim||260 x 184 (7 1/4 x 10 1/4)|
|Stock Status||Please allow 3 - 4 weeks for delivery.|
"One of the strengths of this book is the educational format, which promotes gradual learning, yet it also provides a quick reference with its diagnostic charts and algorithms and its comprehensive index. The case studies and reviews are methods that ensure clinical application of the information, and the integration of margin notes and colored key point boxes assists in clarifying the information."
- Taha Ayach, MD (University of Kentucky College of Medicine) for Doody's Review Services