Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine , 2nd Edition
Written by world-renowned author and teacher Giovanni Maciocia, Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine, 2nd Edition is a comprehensive, highly illustrated, and easy-to-understand resource. With a focus on clear interpretations of "real world" signs and symptoms, this new edition addresses the practice beyond the theory and leads you through both basic and sophisticated levels of diagnostic interpretation. Since Chinese medicine diagnosis relies on a subtle appraisal of a patient's disharmony, many factors beyond traditional Western symptoms are considered, including a patient's voice, the absence of thirst, feeling hot or cold, the patient's smell, tone of voice, and glitter of eyes. This practical resource helps students and practitioners alike carefully interpret a wide range of diagnostic nuances.
- One-of-a-kind text gives you a clinical understanding of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Rich, unique content offers an unparalleled depth of information that is meticulously cross-referenced.
- Includes all the signs and symptoms that a modern patient may present in the clinic, no matter how subtle.
- Outlines the decision-making options in key situations to help you through the most challenging topics.
- Case histories with diagnoses present common conditions that professionals will often find in practice.
- Logically organized to help you quickly find the information you need in clinical situations.
- Written by a leader in the field of Chinese medicine provides you with an expert's clinical experience and understanding.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Clinical and Treatments notes provide practical information on acupuncture - including herbal treatment, when appropriate - for most symptoms and signs, giving the book a clinical application in therapy.
- NEW! UPDATED full-color design and color photographs depict external clinical signs for more accurate clinical recognition.
- NEW! Learning outcomes summarize the basics that you should know after completing a chapter.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated content from an expert author clarifies the best practices for diagnosis in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
|Table of Content||
Part I: Diagnosis by Observation
Section 2: Parts of the Body
Section 3: Tongue Diagnosis
Part II: Diagnosis by Interrogation
Part III: Diagnosis by Palpation
Part IV: Diagnosis by Hearing and Smelling
Part V: Symptoms and Signs
Section 2: Gynecological Symptoms and Signs
Section 3: Pediatric Symptoms and Signs
Part VI: Identification of Internal Organ Patterns
|Author Information||By Giovanni Maciocia, CAc(Nanjing), Acupuncturist and Medical Herbalist, UK; Visiting Professor, Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nanjing, People's Republic of China.|
|Trim||246 X 189 (7 11/16 x 9 7/16)|
|Stock Status||In Stock|
"The first requirement for diagnosis in medicine is clear thinking. On that score there cannot have been a better designed book in this field."
"Articulated and precise, the text by Giovanni Maciocia maps out for the inexperienced reader a safe path through clinical symptoms and signs; for those who are experts in the art, it is a most useful manual for consultation. This book is indispensable both for students and for practitioners of all levels.
"Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine represents the most comprehensive and yet encyclopaedic and detailed textbook on diagnosis in English. In his usual style combining clarity, precision and experience, Giovanni Maciocia has filled an important gap in the TCM literature. This precise, clear, academic and detailed textbook on Chinese Diagnosis is an indispensable tool both for practitioners and students."
"Maciocia has consistently provided the West with precise knowledge and profound clarity concerning Eastern medicine. This new work continues his unique scholar-practitioner tradition of teaching and writing that simultaneously supplies immediately practical information with direct clinical application with theoretical insight and wisdom that makes one consider and ponder and see the Eastern tradition from new perspectives. This is an invaluable addition to what can only be described as the ongoing "Maciocia transmission."
"This new book on diagnosis brilliantly fills a gap in the existing literature. It appears encyclopedic yet is surprisingly useful in daily practice. While it is solidly based on Chinese medicine, this book guides the reader in applying the principles of traditional diagnosis to present-day western patients. Physician acupuncturists will especially appreciate the book's easy access to discover the significance of symptoms and signs they encounter in their practices. It's a remarkably good book."
"Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine is an indispensable tool for the interpretation of symptoms and signs. It is the first text that helps the practitioner to understand the significance of symptoms and signs making diagnosis and treatment strategies easier and more logical."
"For the last 16 years Giovanni Maciocia has been the one author in the field of oriental medicine whose books have become the essential study and practice texts for an entire generation in the west. With this long-awaited comprehensive book on diagnosis and differentiation of symptoms, he adds to this impressive body of work and no student or practitioner will want to be without it."
"This book is an essential clinical reference for all practitioners and it is surely the most important book on Chinese medicine to be published in the last ten years.