Brinker, Piermattei and Flo's Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Repair , 5th Edition
Stay ahead of the rising demand for orthopedic surgery in veterinary practice with the most trusted handbook for small animal orthopedics. Brinker, Piermattei, and Flo's Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Repair, 5th Edition is the expert reference you need to successfully understand, diagnose, and treat the wide variety of conditions affecting the locomotor system in small animals. As with previous editions, this comprehensive handbook offers readers a clear and consistent description of the most common orthopedic conditions along with the pathology, diagnostic work-up, surgical indications and planning, surgical approach, surgical techniques, complications, and follow-up recommendations that accompany them. This new edition also includes the latest information on fractures, musculoskeletal diseases, and the advances in methods of fixation, lameness correction, and joint surgery. Not only will readers gain access to routinely used orthopedic treatments - such as plating, wiring, and pinning techniques - this handbook also discusses the more complex modalities - like minimally invasive surgery, and angle stable fixation systems with the newest information on interlocking nail and locking plate technologies. With this unrivaled reference, you'll have the expert guidance you need to successfully diagnose and treat nearly any musculoskeletal case you may encounter in daily practice.
- Clear, concise coverage covers the pathology, diagnostic work-up, surgical indications and planning, surgical approach, surgical techniques, complications, and follow-up recommendations for the most common orthopedic conditions.
- Step-by-step line drawings clearly illustrate different types of fractures and demonstrate the surgical procedures used to affect repairs - detail that can't be conveyed in clinical photographs.
- Anatomical organization provides quick access to information on both fractures and other conditions for each region of the body.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Advances in joint surgeries, specifically the knee, shoulder, and elbow, keep practitioners abreast of the latest technology and best practices.
- NEW! Coverage of minimally invasive surgery has been added to the many chapters.
- NEW! Advances in imaging (MRI, CT, and radiographs) are included to keep practitioners up to date on the latest technology.
- Updates on new fixation technologies include angle stable interlocking nails and locking plate fracture fixation systems.
- Updates on common surgeries include triple pelvic osteotomy and total hip replacement
- NEW! High-definition clinical photographs have been added to give readers a closer view of various fractures and repair techniques.
|Table of Content||
Part I: Diagnosis and Treatment of Fractures, Lameness and Joint Disease
Part II: Fractures and Orthopedic Conditions of the Forelimb
Part III: Fractures and Orthopedic Conditions of the Hindlimb
Part IV: Other Fractures and Reconstruction of Bone Deformity
Part V: Miscellaneous Conditions of the Musculoskeletal System
|Author Information||By Charles E. DeCamp, DVM, Michigan State University, Veterinary Medical Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, East Lansing, MI|
|Trim||260 x 184 (7 1/4 x 10 1/4)|
|Stock Status||In Stock|
|Published Reviews||Twenty-three years have passed since publication of the first edition of this book and the fourth edition takes advantage of considerable worldwide experience in this field. Many veterinary surgeons already know this comprehensive textbook and have had an opportunity to appreciate its usefulness in daily practice when managing all types of orthopaedic problems.
The format of the book is the usual one, as in the previous editions, with a first part dealing with the basic principles of the diagnosis and treatment of fractures, lameness and joint diseases, including fracture classification and all types of implants and systems of fixation. The second part describes the treatment of fractures and orthopaedic conditions of the fore- limb, while the third part considers the hind limb. The fourth part describes the approach to other fractures and to reconstruction of bone deformity, whilst the fifth part deals with miscellaneous conditions of the musculoskeletal system. This edition is considerably enriched by the excellent artwork of F. Dennis Giddings, the artist who first become famous with the milestone book for all orthopaedic surgeons, Piermattei's Atlas of Surgical Approaches to the bones and joints of the dog and cat.
The approach to each musculoskeletal condition is very comprehensive, following the original philosophy of Wade Brinker, taking care in the description of the pathology, the diagnostic work-up, surgical indications and planning, surgical approach, surgical techniques, complications and follow-up. For this reason this textbook is very useful to all veterinary surgeons when approaching veterinary orthopaedic and traumatology problems and willing to find the technical solution to any musculoskeletal case they may find in their daily practice.
For more experienced surgeons, already used to consult the previous editions, this fourth one will update their knowledge on the most recent diagnostic approaches, such as arthroscopy and the recently developed new techniques such as TPLO, guiding the reader in the choice of new solutions for several orthopaedic conditions. The addition of a new Author, Charles De Champ, is a guarantee for the continuous update of this textbook.
Aldo Vezzoni, (I) Med. Vet., SCMPA, Dipl. ECVS
FECAVA Vol. 16-2 October 2006