25 % off Paperback
Nursing Interventions & Clinical Skills , 4th Edition
This market-leading, user-friendly textbook provides complete coverage of nearly 150 nursing skills in a streamlined, step-by-step, visual format. More than 860 full-color photos and drawings clarify key concepts, bringing important procedures and techniques to life. The nursing process framework helps put nursing skills in the context of care delivery and rationales for key steps help you understand why specific techniques are used.
- The nursing process provides a consistent framework that helps you understand where skills fit into the broader context of patient care.
- A section on standard beginning and completion protocols is printed on the inside front cover so that routine steps are not repeated throughout the text.
- Similar skills are covered together, to reflect the way they are commonly taught.
- Easy-to-follow, 2-column format lists key steps for each skill with appropriate rationales to help you understand and remember why specific techniques are used.
- Over 860 full-color photographs and drawings clearly show how key procedures and specific steps are performed.
- Nurse Alerts bring important safety issues or critical steps to your attention.
- A Glove logo provides a visual reminder of when to apply clean gloves.
- Sterile Gloving instructions are highlighted in easy-to-spot, bright blue type.
- Delegation Considerations provide essential guidance for delegating a skill to unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Special considerations include age-related, home care, and long-term care issues.
- Communication Tips help you prepare and support clients for procedures.
New to this Edition
- An Evidence-Based Practice section in each chapter summarizes a relevant nursing research study and its findings, explaining its application to best practice.
- New skills cover Neurological Assessment; Application of Antiembolism Stockings and Sequential Compression Device; Obtaining Blood Pressure from Lower Extremity by Auscultation; Electronic Blood Pressure Measurement; Urine Screening for Glucose, Ketones, Proteins, Blood, and pH; and Teaching Clients Self-Injection, Breast and Testicular Self-Examinations.
- NCLEX® examination-style review questions for each chapter prepare you for the exam and include the new alternate-item format questions.
- Cross-references to Nursing Skills Online direct you to the appropriate module and lesson for skills included in the course.
- A View Video icon reminds you to watch more than 80 video-clips from Mosby's Nursing Skills Videos on the Evolve® website.
|Table of Content||1. Professional Nursing Practice
Skill 1.1 Documenting Nurses' Progress Notes * Skill 1.2 Giving a Change-of-Shift Report
2. Facilitating Communication
Skill 2.1 Establishing Nurse-Client Relationship * Skill 2.2 Interviewing * Skill 2.3 Communicating With Anxious Client * Skill 2.4 Communicating with Angry Client * Skill 2.5 Communicating with Depressed Client NEW!
3. Promoting a Safe Environment
Procedural Guideline 3-1 Fire, Electrical and Radiation Safety NEW! * Skill 3.1 Fall Prevention * Skill 3.2 Designing a Restraint-Free Environment * Skill 3.3 Applying Physical Restraints * Skill 3.4 Seizure Precautions * Procedural Guideline 3-2 Writing an Incident Report
4. Medical Aseptic Techniques
Skill 4.1 Hand Hygiene * Procedural Guideline 4-1 Using Disposable Clean Gloves * Skill 4.2 Caring for Clients Under Isolation Precautions * Skill 4-3 Special Tuberculosis Precautions
5. Basic Sterile Techniques
Skill 5.1 Applying Personal Protective Equipment NEW! * Skill 5.2 Preparing a Sterile Field * Skill 5.3 Sterile Gloving
6. Promoting Activity and Mobility
Skill 6.1 Assisting With Moving and Positioning Clients in Bed * Skill 6.2 Using Safe and Effective Transfer Techniques * Skill 6.3 Assisting with Ambulation * Skill 6.4 Teaching Use of Cane, Crutches and Walker * Skill 6.5 Continuous Passive Motion Machine (CPM) (For Client with Total Knee Replacement). * Procedural Guideline 6-1 Applying Elastic Stockings and Sequential Compression Device. NEW! * Procedural Guideline 6-2 Range of Motion Exercises
7. Promoting Hygiene
Skill 7.1 Complete Bathing, * Procedural Guideline 7-1 Commercial Bag Bath or Cleansing Pack NEW! * Skill 7.2 Oral Care for the Debilitated or Unconscious Client, * Procedural Guideline 7-2 Care of Dentures * Skill 7.3 Hair Care, * Skill 7.4 Foot and Nail Care, * Skill 7.5 Bedmaking, * Procedural Guideline 7-3 Unoccupied Bedmaking and Surgical Bed EXPANDED!
8. Promoting Nutrition
Skill 8.1 Feeding Dependent Clients * Skill 8.2 Aspiration Precautions * Procedural Guideline 8-1 Standing Height and Weight on Platform or Chair Scale
9. Assisting With Elimination
Skill 9.1 Monitoring Intake and Output * Skill 9.2 Providing a Bedpan and Urinal * Skill 9.3 Applying an External Catheter * Skill 9.4 Catheter Care * Skill 9.5 Administering an Enema
10. Promoting Comfort and Pain Control
Skill 10.1 Nonpharmacological Comfort Measures * Skill 10.2 Relaxation and Guided Imagery NEW! * Skill 10.3 Pharmacological Pain Management * Skill 10.4 Patient-Controlled Analgesia * Skill 10.5 Epidural Analgesia * Skill 10.6 Local Anesthetic Infusion Pump for Analgesia
11. Vital Signs
Skill 11.1 Assessing Temperature, Pulse, Respirations, and Blood Pressure * Procedural Guideline 11-1 Obtaining Blood Pressure from Lower Extremity by Auscultation * Procedural Guideline 11-2 Electronic Blood Pressure Measurement * Skill 11.2 Measuring Oxygen Saturation with Pulse Oximetry
12. Health Assessment
Skill 12.1 General Survey * Skill 12.2 Assessing the Head and Neck * Skill 12.3 Assessing the Thorax and Lungs * Skill 12.4 Cardiovascular Assessment NEW! * Skill 12.5 Assessing the Abdomen * Skill 12.6 Musculoskeletal and Neurological Assessment NEW!
13. Laboratory Tests
Skill 13.1 Urine Specimen Collection-Midstream, Sterile Urinary Catheter * Procedural Guideline 13-1 Collecting 24-Hour Timed Urine Specimens * Procedural Guideline 13-2 Urine Screening for Glucose, Ketones, Protein, Blood, and pH * Skill 13.2 Testing for Gastrointestinal Alterations (Gastroccult Test, Stool Specimen, and Hemoccult Test) * Skill 13.3 Blood Glucose Monitoring * Skill 13.4 Collecting Blood Specimens-Venipuncture With Vacutainer, Venipuncture With Syringe, and Blood Cultures * Skill 13.5 Collecting Specimens From the Nose and Throat * Skill 13.6 Collecting a Sputum Specimen by Suction * Procedural Guideline 13-4 Collecting a Sputum Specimen by Expectoration * Skill 13.7 Obtaining Wound Cultures
14. Diagnostic Procedures
Skill 14.1 Intravenous Moderate Sedation, * Skill 14.2 Contrast Media Studies: Arteriogram, Cardiac Catheterization, Intravenous Pyelogram, * Skill 14.3 Assisting With Aspirations: Bone Marrow, Lumbar Puncture, Paracentesis, Thoracentesis, * Skill 14.4 Assisting With Bronchoscopy, * Skill 14.5 Assisting With Gastrointestinal Endoscopy * Skill 14.6 Assisting With Electrocardiogram
15. Preparation for Medication Administration
16. Administration of Nonparenteral Medications
Skill 16.1 Administering Oral Medications * Skill 16.2 Administering Medication Through a Feeding Tube * Skill 16.3 Applying Topical Medications * Skill 16.4 Instilling Eye and Ear Medications * Skill 16.5 Using Metered-Dose Inhalers * Skill 16.6 Using Small-Volume Nebulizers * Skill 16.7 Inserting Rectal and Vaginal Medications
17. Administration of Injections
Procedural Guideline 17-1 Reconstituting Medications From a Powder * Procedural Guideline 17-2 Mixing Medications From a Vial * Skill 17.1 Subcutaneous Injections (Includes Insulin) * Skill 17.2 Intramuscular Injections * Skill 17.3 Intradermal Injections * Skill 17.4 Continuous Subcutaneous Medications
18. Preparing the Client for Surgery
Skill 18.1 Preoperative Assessment * Skill 18.2 Preoperative Teaching * Skill 18.3 Physical Preparation
19. Intraoperative Techniques
Skill 19.1 Surgical Hand Antisepsis * Skill 19.2 Donning Sterile Gown and Closed Gloving
20. Caring for the Postoperative Client
Skill 20.1 Providing Surgical Wound Care * Skill 20.2 Monitoring and Measuring Drainage Devices * Skill 20.3 Removing Staples and Sutures (Including Applying Steri-Strips)
21. Pressure Ulcers
Skill 21.1 Pressure Ulcer Risk Assessment and Prevention Strategies * Skill 21.2 Treatment of Pressure Ulcers and Wound Management
Skill 22.1 Applying Dressings * Skill 22.2 Applying Pressure Dressings NEW! * Skill 22.3 Changing Transparent Dressings * Skill 22.4 Wound Vacuum Assisted Closure * Skill 22.5 Applying Binders and Bandages
23. Therapeutic Use of Warm and Cold Applications
Skill 23.1 Moist Heat * Skill 23.2 Dry Heat * Skill 23.3 Cold Compresses and Ice Bags
24. Special Mattresses and Beds
Skill 24.1 Using a Support Surface * Skill 24.2 Using an Air Suspension Bed * Skill 24.3 Using an Air-Fluidized Bed * Skill 24.4 Using a Rotokinetic Bed * Skill 24.5 Using a Bariatric Bed
25. Traction, Cast Care, and Immobilization Devices
Skill 25.1 Care of the Client in Skin Traction * Skill 25.2 Care of the Client in Skeletal Traction and Pin Site Care * Skill 25.3 Care of the Client During Cast Application * Skill 25.4 Care of the Client During Cast Removal * Skill 25.5 Care of the Client With an Immobilization Device (Brace, Splint, Sling) * Procedural Guideline 25-1 Sling Application
26. Intravenous Therapy
Skill 26.1 Insertion of a Peripheral Intravenous Device (Intermittent and Continuous Infusion) * Skill 26.2 Regulating Intravenous Infusion Flow Rates * Skill 26.3 Maintenance of Intravenous Site * Skill 26.4 Administering Intravenous Medications * Skill 26.5 Transfusions of Blood Products
27. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
Skill 27.1 Monitoring Fluid Balance * Skill 27.2 Monitoring Electrolyte Balance * Skill 27.3 Monitoring Acid-Base Balance
28. Promoting Oxygenation
Skill 28.1 Oxygen Administration * Skill 28.2 Airway Management: Noninvasive Interventions * Skill 28.3 Airway Management: Suctioning * Skill 28.4 Airway Management: Endotracheal Tube and Tracheostomy Care * Skill 28.5 Managing Closed Chest Drainage Systems
29. Gastric Intubation
Skill 29.1 Inserting Nasogastric Tube (Includes Checking Placement of Nasal Tube) * Skill 29.2 Irrigating Nasogastric Tube * Skill 29.3 Removing Nasogastric Tube
30. Enteral Nutrition
Skill 30.1 Intubating the Client With a Small-Bore Nasogastric or Nasointestinal Feeding Tube * Skill 30.2 Verifying Tube Placement for a Large-Bore or Small-Bore Feeding Tube * Skill 30.3 Administering Tube Feedings for Nasogastric, Gastrostomy, and Jejunostomy tubes
31. Altered Bowel Elimination
Skill 31.1 Removing Impactions * Skill 31.2 Pouching an Enterostomy * Skill 31.3 Inserting and Maintaining a Nasogastric Tube for Gastric Decompression
32. Altered Urinary Elimination
Skill 32.1 Urinary Catheterization With Straight or Indwelling (Retention) Catheter: Female and Male * Skill 32.2 Removal of an Indwelling Catheter * Skill 32.3 Inserting Straight Catheter for Specimen Collection or Post-void Residual Urine * Skill 32.4 Closed and Open Intermittent Catheter Irrigation * Skill 32.5 Suprapubic Catheter Care * Skill 32.6 Pouching a Urinary Diversion
33. Altered Sensory Perception
Skill 33.1 Caring for an Eye Prosthesis * Skill 33.2 Eye Irrigations * Skill 33.3 Caring for Clients with Hearing Aids * Skill 33.4 Ear Irrigations
34. Emergency Measures for Life Support in the Hospital Setting
Skill 34.1 Code Management * Skill 34.2 Inserting an Oral Pharyngeal Airway NEW!
35. Care of the Client With Special Needs
Skill 35.1 Managing Central Venous Lines * Skill 35.2 Administration of Total Parenteral Nutrition * Skill 35.3 Mechanical Ventilation * Skill 35.4 Care of Client Receiving Hemodialysis * Skill 35.5 Peritoneal Dialysis
36. Palliative Care
Skill 36.1 Care of the Dying Client * Skill 36.2 Care of the Body After Death
37. Client Teaching and Home Health Management
Skill 37.1 Risk Assessment and Accident Prevention * Skill 37.2 Adapting the Home Setting for Clients with Cognitive Deficits * Skill 37.3 Medication and Medical Device Safety * Procedural Guideline 37-1 Teaching Clients Self-Injections * Skill 37.4 Using Home Oxygen Therapy
|Author Information||By Martha Keene Elkin, RN, MSN, IBCLC, Nursing Educator for Associate Degree Nursing, Private Practice Lactation Consultant, Mother Care of Maine, Comprehensive Breastfeeding Services, Sumner, ME; Formerly, Lactation Counselor, Stephens Memorial Hospital, Norway, ME; Anne Griffin Perry, RN, MSN, EdD, FAAN, Chair, Department of Primary Care & Health Systems Nursing, Southern Illinois University, School of Nursing, Edwardsville, IL; and Patricia A. Potter, PhD, RN, FAAN, CMAC , Research Scientist, Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO|
|Trim||276 x 216 (8 1/2 x 10 7/8)|
|Stock Status||Please allow 3 - 4 weeks for delivery.|
Write Your Own Review