Thoroughly revised, this handy manual is filled with practical advice for the entire cardiac care team. It covers all aspects of care of the surgical heart patient-from preoperative assessment to postoperative management to treatment protocols.
Chapters written by both nurses and doctors emphasize the critical care team approach to cardiac surgery to improve patient outcomes and provide useful, practical information for every clinical setting.
A logical organization, including individual sections on preoperative, operative, and postoperative issue speeds to the information you need.
New to this Edition
The latest details on coronary artery disease · fluid, electrolyte, and renal function · management of postoperative cardiac arrhythmias · mechanical devices · and postoperative myocardial ischemia enhance your clinical acumen.
An updated appendix of Management Summaries keeps you current on the latest in care.
New images and line drawings illuminate key steps to help you master every procedure.
2. Cardiovascular Pharmacological Agents - Simmonds, Nyhan, and Berkowitz
3. Coronary Artery Disease - Hsia, Peck, and Conte
4. Valvular Heart Disease - Caparelli and Conte
5. Diseases of the Aorta - Quigley, Williams, and Conte
6. Surgical Treatment of Cardiac Arrhythmias - Shah and Baumgartner
7. Heart Transplantation and Treatment of End-Stage Heart Disease - Williams and Bethea
8. Mechanical Circulatory Support - Bonde and Conte
Section III: Postoperative Issues
9. Postoperative Hemodynamic Management - Dorman and Nyhan
10. Hemostasis, Coagulopathy, and Tamponade - Haddadin and Farraday
11. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Renal Function - Dodd
12. Detection and Management of Postoperative Ischemia - Verde
13. Postoperative Pulmonary Management - Grogan
14. Management of Postoperative Cardiac Arrhythmias - Martinez, Warczynski, Wallop, Slater, and Owens
15. Postoperative Infection in Cardiac Surgery - Hartsell
16. Neurologic Sequelae of Cardiac Surgery - Weller
Section IV: Progressive Care and Preparation for Discharge
17. Anticoagulation - Aumick, Elliot, and Peithman
18. Physical Rehabilitation - Trottman and Pippenger
19. Special Care Issues - Moyer, Cafeo, and Lohmann-Edwards
Appendix A: Management Summaries - Fleischer and Stuart
By John V. Conte, MD, Cardiac Surgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD; William A. Baumgartner, MD, The Vincent L. Gott Professor, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine; Cardiac Surgeon-in-Chief, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD; Todd Dorman, MD, FCCM, Critical Care Division, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD; and Sharon G. Owens, CRNP, PhD, Cardiac Surgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD