A new publication in the highly-regarded Churchill's Pocketbook series covering the essentials of orthopaedics, trauma and rheumatology suitable for medical students and Foundation doctors
· A useful on-the-ward pocketbook for clinical medical students and Foundation doctors providing valuable on the spot coverage of all three topics · The book has a unique authorship - a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, a Professor of Rheumatology and a Foundation doctor - ensuring complete accuracy of information tailored perfectly to the needs of the trainee · The book's user-friendly quick reference format aids rapid access to information on the busy ward · It includes a distinctive and concise chapter on anatomy, providing the perfect level of detail for the trainee · The pharmacology of commonly used drugs and a handy pharmacopoeia are also included · The book will help improve a reader's diagnostic skills and inform about current treatment options · It is ideal for clinical placements in orthopaedics, A&E, rheumatology and general practice, as well as for revision during a musculoskeletal anatomy course.
1. ANATOMY Shoulder Arm and elbow Forearm, wrist and hand Hip, thigh and knee Leg and foot Spine
2. HISTORY AND EXAMINATION History taking Wrist and hand Elbow and forearm Shoulder Hip Knee Ankle and foot Spine
3. INVESTIGATIONS Basic haematological and biochemical investigations Immunological tests Joint aspiration and synovial fluid analysis Radiology Other imaging techniques
4. REGIONAL ORTHOPAEDICS AND TRAUMA Shoulder and arm Elbow and forearm Wrist and hand Pelvis, hip and knee Ankle and foot Head, neck and spine Bone and joint infections Bone tumours Nerve injury
5. RHEUMATOLOGY Rheumatoid arthritis Seronegative spondyloarthritis Systemic vasculitis Connective tissue disease Fibromyalgia Crystal induced arthritis Osteoarthritis Diseases of bone
6. PAEDIATRIC ORTHOPAEDICS AND RHEUMATOLOGY Bone structure and injury Disorders of the hip Disorders of the knee Disorders of the foot Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)
7. INJURY CLASSIFICATION AND PERI-OPERATIVE CARE Trauma assessment, classification and treatment Pre-operative management Post-operative management and complications
8. THERAPEUTICS Analgesia Steroids Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs(DMARDs) Prevention and treatment of osteoporosis Gout
By Andrew D. Duckworth, MBChB, BSc(Hons), Foundation Doctor, Accident and Emergency Dept, St John's Hospital, Livingston, UK; Daniel Porter, MD, FRCS(Tr&Orth), Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh and Senior Lecturer, University of Edinburgh, UK; and Stuart H. Ralston, MD, FRCP, FMedSci, FRSE, ARC Professor of Rheumatology & Head of the School of Molecular & Clinical Medicine, Molecular Medicine Centre, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Please allow 3 - 4 weeks for delivery.
"This book, I am sure will be a welcome addition to the pockets of medical students and junior doctors working in medicine, trauma and orthopaedics and A&E. I am sure GP trainees will also be browsing through it both in hospital corridors and GP surgeries." BMA Book Awards 2009 - judges comments