The type of information that Elsevier collects and holds includes (but is not limited to) personal information about:
- • individuals who use our services or purchase our products;
- • individuals who attend our conferences;
- • individuals who enter our competitions and trade promotions;
- • individuals who register on our website;
- • job applicants, suppliers and contractors; and
- • other people who come into contact with Elsevier.
How might Elsevier use the personal information?
Generally, Elsevier may use the personal information for the following purposes:
- • to provide products and services to our customers;
- • to respond to requests, inquiries or applications;
- • to evaluate, develop and enhance our websites and our services;
- • to conduct website and system administration, such as for the technical support of our websites and computer systems;
- • to provide information to individuals about products or services that we think may be of interest to them; and
- • to communicate special offers, promotions or market research surveys.
How might Elsevier disclose the information?
The people and organisations to whom Elsevier may disclose personal information include:
- • service providers such as organisations who provide data processing, printing and fulfilment operations;
- • entities for whom we are acting as an agent or publisher, such as societies and our affiliated group companies;
- • courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities as agreed or authorised by law;
- • anyone authorised by the individual;
- • to another company, in the event that Elsevier or a related asset or line of business is acquired by or transferred to that other company.
Management and security of personal information
Elsevier takes reasonable steps to keep your personal information secure. Personal information about individuals is stored on servers that sit behind a firewall and is physically housed within a secure data centre. Employee access to personal information is limited.
We cannot guarantee that your personal information will be protected against unauthorised access or misuse, and do not accept any liability for the improper actions of unauthorised third parties.
In relation to the internet, while Elsevier uses reasonable efforts to safeguard the privacy of your personal information, transmissions made by means of the internet cannot be made absolutely secure. Elsevier assumes no responsibility for disclosure of data due to errors in transmission or by unauthorised third parties. Elsevier also assumes no responsibility or liability for third parties such as advertisers or other entities who utilise banner ads and links from our website. If you click through a banner ad or link and submit your information to an advertiser, you will be subject to their own privacy policies.
We retain the personal information we collect from you for as long as the information is relevant to our business purposes as set out above or until you request that we remove the data by contacting our Privacy Officer at the address or telephone number set out below.
Our website collects information through the use of "cookies". Cookies are anonymous, unique alphanumeric identifiers sent to your browser from a website and stored on your computer's hard drive. The information we collect via cookies does not personally identify you, although it does identify your browser. We use this information to provide you with customised information when you visit our website, and to collect aggregated user data for the purposes of usage analysis, quality control and administering and improving the website. Aggregated data may be shared with third parties.
You can prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, be notified when you receive a new cookie, or disable cookies altogether by changing your browser's preferences menu. If you disable cookies, you will not be able to use the customised functions on our website.
Updating your personal information
Elsevier endeavours to ensure that the personal information it holds about individuals is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Users of our website will generally be able to update the information we hold about them by accessing their account information on our website. In other circumstances, please contact our Privacy Officer at the address or telephone number set out below if the information we hold about you requires changing or us out of date.
Accessing personal information
Individuals will generally be able to view the information we hold about them by accessing their account information on our website. In other circumstances, individuals may request a copy of the personal information that Elsevier holds about them by contacting our Privacy Officer in writing at the address set out below. Elsevier may require individuals to verify their identity and may charge a reasonable fee for processing the request.
Opting in to receive marketing materials
If you wish to receive alerts, newsletters, new product announcements, market surveys, special offers or promotions, please tick the appropriate check box when you register for personalised services or access. If you wish to cease receiving any of this information, you may amend your preferences either by contacting our Privacy Officer at the address or telephone number detailed below or by using the "opt-out" or unsubscribe option provided within the communications you receive.
Contacting our Privacy Officer
If you have any questions or comments about our handling of your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Level 12, Tower 1
475 Victoria Avenue
Chatswood NSW 2067
Tel: 1800 263 951 (Toll free within Australia) or +61 2 9422 8500
Fax: +61 2 9422 8501