The AACN Procedure Manual for Critical Care, 6th Edition presents procedures for the critical care environment in an illustrated, consistent, and step-by-step format. The Procedures and Patient Monitoring sections are presented in a tabular format that includes special considerations and rationales for each intervention. References have been meticulously reviewed to ensure that the most authoritative and timely standards of practice are used. Additionally, the references supporting care recommendations are identified according to the latest AACN Evidence Leveling System to ensure that you have a complete understanding of the strength of the evidence base.
UNIQUE! AACN-sponsored content ensures the highest standards of practice
Comprehensive, clear, easy-to-use format allows you to quickly find and review the exact content you need
Rationales provide complete information on every procedure
Identified AP procedures help you judge whether a procedure is in your scope of practice
Patient safety highlighted with new icons for patient identification and time-out Joint Commission Universal Protocols
CDC Standard Precautions for hand washing and applying protective clothing and equipment highlighted with new icons
New to this Edition
UNIQUE! Clarity of Evidence Leveling helps you quickly grasp the strength of the evidence supporting the care recommendations
Reviewed and Updated References comply with the highest standards of critical care practice
Alphabetical procedures index inside the front cover provides easy access
Reader-friendly design changes make it easier to identify and utilize special features
126. Cleaning, Irrigating, Culturing, and Dressing an Open Wound
127. Débridement: Pressure Ulcers, Burns, and Wounds AP
128. Wound Management with Excessive Drainage
129. Drain Removal
130. Fecal Containment Devices and Bowel Management System NEW!
131. Negative-Pressure WoundTherapy
UNIT VIII Nutrition: Eleanor Fitzpatrick
132. Small-Bore Feeding Tube Insertion Using an Electromagnetic Guidance System (CORTRAK®) NEW!
133. Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG), Gastrostomy, or Jejunostomy Tube Care
134. Small-Bore Feeding Tube Insertion and Care
UNIT IX End of Life: Debra Wiegand
135. Determination of Death in Adult Patients AP
136. Organ Donation: Identification of Potential Organ Donors, Request for Organ Donation, and Care of the Organ Donor
137. Cardiac Donation
138. Withholding and Withdrawing Life-Sustaining Therapy
UNIT X Calculating Medication Doses: Eleanor Fitzpatrick
139. Calculating Doses, Flow Rates, and Administration of Continuous Intravenous Infusions
By AACN; Edited by Debra J. Lynn-McHale Wiegand, PhD, RN, CCRN, FAAN, Assistant Professor, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, Maryland;
Staff Nurse, Surgical Cardiac Care Unit, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
276 x 216 (8 1/2 x 10 7/8)
Please allow 3 - 4 weeks for delivery.
"This sixth edition text prepared under the auspices of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses continues its mission as a comprehensive reference presenting quick access to the abundance of information necessary for providing high-quality care to seriously ill patients. Procedures are detailed in a consistent format covering purpose, prerequisite nursing knowledge, equipment, patient and family education, and patient assessment and preparation. Procedures are described step by step, with identification and delineation of rationale, special considerations, expected and unexpected outcomes, patient monitoring, documentation, and references. Icons identify procedures that require, for example advanced skills, hand hygiene, or personal protective equipment. Charts, tables, diagrams, and illustrations are all designed to present information efficiently and well."